Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society was founded in 1960 by students at Liverpool University Public Transport Society
who wanted to save for posterity one of the city's famous bogie
streamliner tramcars then still operating in Glasgow. They were soon
joined by local tram enthusiasts, to rescue Green Goddess no. 869,
which had been sold to Glasgow in 1954.
being transported from Scotland to Leeds and Derbyshire, 869 finally
returned to its native city in 1967 and between then and 1979 it was
rebuilt at Green Lane depot by MTPS enthusiasts.
October 1979 it was returned to the National Tramway Museum at Crich.
There, cracks were found in the bogies due to metal fatigue and the car
was put in store. Eventually a six-figure sum was spent on the car and
it entered service at the National Tramway Museum during 1993.
restoration team then looked for other Merseyside trams to work on and
the collection was started. The Society gradually evolved over the
years into the the form it is in today. Not only a team of dedicated
tram preservationists and supporters, but also trained drivers,
conductors, and pointsmen, assisting Wirral Borough Council staff in
their operation of the Heritage Tramway.
Could you help in any way? Why not join the Society and receive a quarterly newsletter with all the latest news. Click here for a printable application form.