Bookmark and Share
 
Transport Museum

Tramway Managers

site hit counter
 
visitors since 21st July 2005
 
Birkenhead 242
 
93
105
152
242
54
106
DFG38
EOG200
ERG52
Green Goddess
201 Bus Group
Cars

Motorcycles
Model Railway

Birkenhead Corporation Transport Fleet No. 242, registration No. BG8557 was purchased in 1944. 242 was one of a batch of 24 Guy Arab MK2 buses delivered January 1944. 242 was originally fleet No. 324 when supplied with a wartime "utility" body designed to use less resources and capapble of being produced by unskilled labour. Design features included wooden seats and no opening windows.

In 1953 the chassis was rebodied by Massey Brothers of Wigan and was given the new fleet number of 242, the Gardner 5LX engine being replaced with a Gardner 6LX at the same time.

Service continued until withdrawal in November 1969 when 242 was purchased by a southern based preservation group.  Years later, after being moved from one storage place to another, 242 was finally donated to Wirral Transport Museum by Paul Anderson in 2004. It was soon restored by volunteers with the help of a grant from the National Lottery, Veterans Reunited Home Front Recall Scheme.



242 Bridge Street
242 half
242 other half
Guy Indian Chief
242 front view
242 rear view




HOME