1800 MK11 (Landcrab). Originally introduced in October 1964, the MK11
version followed in May 1968. The car had a transverse engine,
hydrolastic suspension and seating for 5 people.
This example was supplied locally by Windsors of Wallasey and
registered 3rd August 1970. The vehicle changed hands on 8th April 1971
for the sum of £1045.00 plus £25 for a years road tax.
The purchaser was Mr Richard Sharps of Wallasey. It remained with Mr
Sharps until his death in 2005 whereupon the car was donated to Wirral
Transport Museum by his son & daughter, with a full service
history and catalogue of purchase receipts. It now awaits restoration.
type C 1924. The type C was a light car made the French company Citroen
from 1922 to 1926. Almost 80,000 units were built, it is also quite
well known as the 5CV for taxation purposes due to the way its engine
was rated. The tapered rear of the car was also known by the name
"cul-de-poule" or "Hens bottom" & the boat deck Citroen.
The four cylinder 856cc, 11hp engine could propel the car to a
magnificent speed of 37mph while returning up to 56 miles per gallon.
This vehicle came with an electric starter so was advertised as
suitable for ladies.
This car used inverted elliptic suspension springs front and rear, the
brakes, operated by a hand lever, were only on the rear wheels with a
foot operated transmission brake.
Only open bodies were made with the original type C, also known as
"petit Citron" or ""little lemon" because it was only available in the
colour yellow. AS a popular but non profitable car, production ended in
Seen here in the mock up garage at Wirral Transport Museum.
1000 Traveller Deluxe, introduced to the Minor range in October 1953.
The Moris minor was designed under the leadership of Sir Alex
Issigonis. More than 1.3 million Morris Minors were manufactured
between 1948 & 1972. The vehicle was available in many variations,
initially as a 2 door saloon and convertible, later a 4 door saloon,
traveller, panel van & pick up. The Minor was the first British car
to sell over a million.
This model was purchased new from Windsors Wallasey 1st October 1971.
The car was purchased by Mr Alfred Charles Walker a Painter &
Decorator, who used the car both for work and fishing trips. He
remained the sole owner of the car until it was donated to Wirral
Transport Museum in 1990.
The car was driven to Euro Disney in 1992 by the then Museums curator,
David Hillhouse, to raise money for the "Save the Children Fund". The
car then underwent restoration.
Triumph Dolomite first appeared in 1972 continuing to be produced until
its demise in 1980. Development actually began in 1962 under the
codename project "Ajax". It was supposed to be the replacement for the
Triumph Herald, although that never happened. The Dolomite owes its
development to the earlier Triumph 1300 & 1500.
This model VDM575R a Dolomite 1300, was purchased 11th February 1977 by
Miss C Henderson of Knutsford. Supplied by Drabble & Allen also of
Knutsford. The service book shows regular dealer servicing up to 27th
January 1993 when it had a 12,000 mile service. The car was sold on to
a Mr Cropper who bought it with the intention of preserving and showing
the car at classic car shows. This he did with some success. Mr Cropper
donated the car to Wirral Transport Museum in 2005.